Saturday, August 15, 2:08 AM
Goopy Lights
Just how cool are these? Appropriately named
Light Blubs, by Pieke Bergmans. Awesome sia. They look so molten and runny, but it's actually crystal- individually blown and shaped, to look like that.
Check out his other work too.
Anyways, I just came home from the Toy, Games & Comic Convention at Suntec. It's on from today till Sunday, so you guys can probably go check it out, if you're interested.
There were collectibles going at lower than usual prices, and amazing pieces of art on display. I walked through the convention hall in awe. (Not trying to rhyme here)
I thought Soundwave (Transformers) was really cool. He doubles up as a microcassette recorder. He was boxed with Ratbat and three other Transformers that transformed into cassettes. Cool right?
Then there was a speed sketching competition hosted by Klik TV. This cheena girl, Xiao Yan, was so bloody good. She looks like a typical awkward teen, but her work was brilliant. She did The Silhoutte (Watchmen) in 4mins, and this sci-fi character in 7mins. The sci-fi sketch blew me away. She blended purples, reds, yellow, black and white perfectly. BUT some pretty chick, Naomi, took the top prize. I'm not saying that Naomi girl isn't good, but Xiao Yan definitely displayed a whole lot more creativity and technical skills in her work. Naomi did a boring black and white piece of an android. It's very basic work for an artist. The all male panel of judges were such dumbasses. So who says looks doesn't matter?
There were loads of other items that wowed me at the convention.
The figurines were beautifully done, incredibly detailed. The comic artists' works. The ugly dolls. BLYTHE DOLLS! Beautifully crafted! I'm still in "wah" mode now. I was like super jakun, walking around, going "wahhhhhhh!" at everything. For nearly 2hours, it seemed that was the only syllable I knew.